Youth wrestling was a huge success in its first five seasons under the direction of the Syracuse High School program. We had 145 kids in our first year, 170 kids in year two, and over 200 kids signed up the last three years. The wrestlers work hard on developing their skills and love for the sport. This program takes place annually with practices beginning at the end October and running for four weeks. The program will be for grades pK-9 and will emphasize skills and a life-long love of wrestling, MAN’S OLDEST AND GREATEST SPORT!
2012-13 ELEMENTARY AND JUNIOR HIGH INFORMATION:
Practices will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 4 weeks beginning Oct. 23.
- grades k-1 will practice 5:30 – 6:30 pm
- grades 2-3 will practice 6:30 – 7:30 pm
- grades 4-6 will practice 5:30 – 6:45 pm
- grades 7-9 will practice 6:45 – 8:00 pm
Cost is $35 if registered by October 17 (add $10 late fee after Oct. 17). The kids will be placed on a team and have dual meets at Syracuse on Nov. 3 and 10 at 9:00 am. There is also a Northern Region Championship at Weber on Nov. 16-17.
Practice will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Nov. 27.
- grades 4-9 will practice 5:30-7:00 pm
- grades pk-3 will practice 7:00 – 8:00 pm
These practices will run until the Youth Super State Tournament on Feb. 7-8. There is no additional fee for these practices, but we are requiring at least a USA Wrestling Utah Folkstyle League Card to attend these practices. There are tournaments every weeked throughout the state that will require this card. It is $15 and you can purchase a card here. You can upgrade to a full card later if you are planning on joining us for the Freestyle/Greco season. For more information about the different levels of membership in USA Wrestling click here. We will be hosting a huge k-9 touranment called Christy’s Clash on January 19, 2012 (see the tournament link above).
10 Strategies for Success:
1. Have fun!
2. Work hard!
3. Parent support: be there for your little guy in any way possible
4. Learn something new every time you wrestle (practices AND matches). Point out things you did well and also things you need to work on every time you wrestle.
5. Be patient. This sport takes time to learn. Everyone advances at different speeds. If you stick with it and apply all the strategies eventually you will figure it out and become a CHAMPION! 6. Set goals. Set small goals that will help you work to your ultimate goal.
7. Focus on mastering the skills that are being taught. Then, over time, they will start flowing together.
8. Be aggressive. It’s ok to be mean and tough when you are wrestling. Especially with your dad. Then when you are done, be a gentlemen and show good sportsmanship.
9. Go forward as you are wrestling. Always drive your feet like you are making a tackle in football.
10. Develop your athleticism through a variety of sports. Tumbling is also a great activity to help you become a better athlete and wrestler.