Youth wrestling was a huge success in its first eight seasons under the direction of the Syracuse High School program. We had 145 kids in our first year, 170 kids in year two, over 200 kids signed up 2009-2013, and over 300 kids in 2015. The wrestlers work hard on developing their skills and love for the sport. This program takes place annually with practices beginning at the end October and running for four weeks. The program will be for grades pK-9 and will emphasize skills and a life-long love of wrestling, MAN’S OLDEST AND GREATEST SPORT!
2015-16 ELEMENTARY AND JUNIOR HIGH INFORMATION:
Practices will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 4 weeks beginning Oct. 27.
- grades pk-1 will practice 5:30 – 6:30 pm (small gym)
- grades 2-3 will practice 6:30 – 7:30 pm (small gym)
- grades 4-6 will practice 5:30 – 6:45 pm (wrestling room)
- grades 7-9 will practice 6:45 – 8:00 pm (wrestling room)
- girls only practice 7:00 – 8:00 pm (wrestling room)
Cost is $40 if registered by October 21 (add $10 late fee after Oct. 21). The kids will be placed on a team and have dual meets at Syracuse on Nov. 7 and 14 at 9:00 am. There is also a Northern Region Championship at Weber on Nov. 20-21.
Practice will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Dec. 1. An additional club fee will be required for the extended season.
- Experienced wrestlers will practice 5:30-6:50 pm
- Beginner wrestlers will practice 6:50 – 7:50 pm
These practices will run until the Youth Super State Tournament on Feb. 6-7. Wrestlers will also be required to purchase at least a USA Wrestling Utah Folkstyle League Card and a gear package (approx. $50) will be optional this year (mostly likely through an online store). There are tournaments every weeked throughout the state that will require the USA Wrestling Card. It is $15 and you can purchase a card here. You can upgrade to a full card later if you are planning on joining us for the Freestyle/Greco season. For more information about the different levels of membership in USA Wrestling click here. We will be hosting a huge pk-9 touranment called Christy’s Clash on January 16, 2016.
We will also be continuing TITAN FIT for all wrestlers pk-9 on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm. We will be working on basic tumbling, strength, endurance, agility, flexibility, etc. at TITAN FIT. First class begins on Wed. Dec. 2nd and runs until the week of Super State. More information on TITAN FIT will be provided later.
10 Strategies for Success:
1. Have fun!
2. Work hard!
3. Parent support: be there for your little guy in any way possible
4. Learn something new every time you wrestle (practices AND matches). Point out things you did well and also things you need to work on every time you wrestle.
5. Be patient. This sport takes time to learn. Everyone advances at different speeds. If you stick with it and apply all the strategies eventually you will figure it out and become a CHAMPION! 6. Set goals. Set small goals that will help you work to your ultimate goal.
7. Focus on mastering the skills that are being taught. Then, over time, they will start flowing together.
8. Be aggressive. It’s ok to be mean and tough when you are wrestling. Especially with your dad. Then when you are done, be a gentlemen and show good sportsmanship.
9. Go forward as you are wrestling. Always drive your feet like you are making a tackle in football.
10. Develop your athleticism through a variety of sports. Tumbling is also a great activity to help you become a better athlete and wrestler.